Sales-per-store for Fast Food Franchises in the US
graph from Chartr; slow reveal by Jenna Laib
(Slide Deck includes notes and questions to elicit discourse)
Type of Graph: scatterplot
Visualization Source: Chartr, “Sub Counts: Subway is shopping itself around.” Chartr Daily: January 13, 2023.
Data Source: QSR Magazine – 2022 Report
- Chartr, “Sub Counts: Subway is shopping itself around.” Chartr Daily: January 13, 2023.
- Edwards, Robert. “Is a Subway Franchise Really a Good Investment?” Franchise City. June 23, 2019.
- Video on YouTube: “5 Reasons to NOT Buy a Subway Franchise (2020)“
- Kosman, Josh. “Subway exploited immigrants and victimized franchisees, bombshell lawsuit alleges.” NY Post: December 21, 2021.
- Hsu, Tiffany, and Rachel Abrams. “Subway got too big. Franchisees paid the price.” June 28, 2019.
- More data on different franchises available at ScrapeHero (e.g. Scrapehero data on US locations of Subway, Krispy Kreme)
- Data also available for several other nations, including Canada and the UK
Potential Math Content: scatterplot, bivariate data, determining what a point means, estimating values, line of best fit, trends, association, correlation
Potential Content Connections: US, restaurants, fast food, business, economy, advertising